Clothing for Climbing Kilimanjaro
Date15 Nov 2019//
- Sweat-wicking T-shirts / vests
- Fleece (Polartec 300 grading or similar)
- Insulated down jacket or similar
- Down mittens or similar
- Lightweight gloves for non-summit days
- Thermal Long-Johns or compression tights for summit night
- Lightweight walking trousers (avoid jeans or heavy cotton as they chafe and dry slowly)
- Underwear (lycra shorts and / or briefs are usually better than boxer shorts which gather and chafe)
- Very good quality hiking socks and thin liner socks. (We advise that socks should be at least a size too small otherwise they stretch and bunch causing blisters)
- Breathable lightweight waterproofs (jacket and trousers).
- Waterproof walking boots, sturdy and worn-in. A Gore-Tex membrane or similar is advised. While Alpine or C3 boots are not required for Kilimanjaro it is important that your boots have good ankle and arch support and good deep read patterns.
- Calf gaiters
- Goretex Mountain Cap or Woollen Hat
- Wide brimmed sun hat to protect face, ears and neck